Wednesday 12 December 2012

Faux Porcelain Tutorial

...Cor blimey, it is today!  Already!  I am SO excited today because I am going to be demo-ing the Ranger Melting Pot on Create & Craft - the show time is 9am, channel details are in my sidebar :O)  So, I thought that I would coincide this post to go live at the same time as I will be on the tellybox so you can see step by step pics on how to make Faux Porcelain things in your Melting Pot.  Firstly, I have made roses from paper and have used a fab Studio 490 stamp from Dimensional Rose Art.  HERE is a link to the paper rose tutorial I did a while back, the step by steps are exactly the same for making the paper rose I am using in my demo and this tutorial... hope that helps :O))   Here's the finished piece I have made....




And... here is the tut!

Ingredients:
Melting Pot
Clear UTEE
Tweezers
Heat Tool
Craft Sheet
Paper Roses & Leaves


STEP 1
Make your paper rose - I have used normal thickness paper but you can also use cardstock and ink it to colour it - just remember that when you dip it into the Melt Pot it will bubble a little - don't worry, this is the water content in the ink reacting with the UTEE.   In previous tutorials I have done for the Faux Porcelain roses I have always done them layer on layer but actually, dipping them once they are whole works a treat too... and is easier!   Simply pick your rose up with your tweezer, dip it into the molten UTEE and make sure it is completely covered.





STEP 2
Lift your rose with your tweezers... remember, the UTEE is molten, if you touch it or it touches  you it will hurt... very lots... there speaks the voice of experience lol   So, lift your rose with your tweezers and allow the excess UTEE to drip back into the Melting Pot.  Pop your rose onto your craft sheet and allow it to harden and cool.





STEP 3
You will see that sometimes the UTEE can be a little bit blobby or stringy.  To remedy this, simply aim your heat tool at it and allow the UTEE to re-melt... this will make the coverage smoother too.  Don't be tempted to touch the rose until it is nice and cold.




STEP 4
Stamp and cut out a leaf, crumple the leaves a bit and then dunk into the Melting Pot as before.  Allow to drip and then use a heat tool if necessary to smooth off the bobbly bits.



The picture at the top is the brooch I have made for the show... and I will be making another one - same style, different colours, during my demo and that will be the giveaway for the cup of chance so if you would like to be in with a chance of owning it, please do drop an email into the show :O))


Right, I shall away... thanks for looking!!  Have a great day! TTFN

Hels x

25 comments:

Marleine said...


Oh Hels! It's great to see you on tv.
Loving the demos.
The bunch of roses are beautiful. Haven't used my melting pot for ages. Will be getting out again, thanks to you. X

EmmaT said...

Good Morning Hels, Im watching you demo at the moment on tv, and thank you for such wonderful in depth demo's on the melt pot. Love the faux porcelin brooch you've made - beautiful. Emma

Gillian said...

WOW Hels, great show, well done you xxxxx

craftypam60 said...

Truly brilliant show!! xx

snazzyoriginal said...

Just caught a little bit of the show this morning - the Headmaster made me come to work the rotter! - and loved that they just let you demo all the fantastic pieces. Great show, fab projects xx

Aquarius said...

Thanks for the reminder tutorial. I so enjoyed your show this morning - really must get my melt pot out as it hasn't been used in ages. Hopefully you will be on again later.

Inkypinkycraft said...

fab tutorial..great idea about heat gun..and yes I have touched my rose before ..its hotty hot hot!! trace x

Anonymous said...

Hi Hels. Can't believe i had to go out this morning, i was so looking forward to your show.

The roses look amazing.

Val in Spain xx

Anita Houston The Artful Maven said...

Gorgeous! What a beautiful make and a fab technique!

Debbie said...

Sw you onn tv Hels and you were fantastic, love the melting pot. Did not get to buy it, but my Birthday is Christmas Day so hint hint to my lot that it is something I NEED!.
Lovely show.
Debbiex

Craftychris said...

ooh your 9.00 show was awesome! I emailed in and won! Thank you so much - can't wait for it to arrive - I am so lucky! Thank you for the tutorial too. I can't watch the 6.00 show but will be recording it - I will be getting my melt pot out as soon as Christmas is organised - thank you for all of the tips and ideas xx

Carole Z said...

Hels your show this morning was brilliant! Got my email read out, but (sob sob) didn't get pulled out of the sparkly thingamajig! Thanks for the tut, I am so looking forward to playing with the goodies I ordered this morning, even tho I should have tried harder to sit on my hands! Carole Z X

Barb Cady said...

Bootiful, just bootiful, that's you on the telly, the rose is gorgous too! xx

Patricia Howarth said...

Hi Hels, What brilliant shows today, I loved them and thank you for the tutorial, really helpful. I bought another meltpot while on flexipay, so I can do different colours at the same time, and lots of UTEE, you inspired me with your demo's.
It is 12.12.12 today, and it's my Birthday too, yipeeeee xx
Lots of love from Patricia xx

Jenny Marples said...

How wonderful are you! Saw you on C&C earlier before work/meeting and then came home in time for the second serving. Hubby saw me watching and was interested in what you were doing with the melt pot (tools, hot stuff, you know what they're like!) "Could you use one?" he says - could I use one?!! Get this, he told me to order one, so who am I to argue!! Hels, you are officially even more wonderful!! Huge hugs, Jenny x

Gerrina said...

Stunning flowers! (again) Thanks for the tut. Hugs, Gerrina

Nan G said...

Love the black rosé brooch! Thanks for the tut on how you make faux porcelain.

Pat said...

Great show Hels. Thanks for the step by step tutorial really useful. I hope you are feeling a bit better
Pat xx

nannapat said...

Fab show Hels - you make everything look so easy and so beautiful. Thanks for the tut, it's so handy to have something to refer to although I do have the show recorded in case I need to take another peek. Pat x

Cazz said...

Hi Hels and thank you for giving me the kick up the rear to actually get my melting pot out of its packaging !! I've only had it 2 years (it was on sale at £10 so it was bargain but not unpacked it yet). Having watched both of your shows yesterday, I will be getting out very soon :-)

Unknown said...

Hi, I watched you on create and craft for the first time yesterday and have fallen in love.....with the ranger melt pot :) Have had to order one & the utee and many other things I really shouldn't of been buying so close to christmas oooops!
I really wanted to be in with a chance for the givaway but couldn't get emailed in...sigh your projects were awesome and I will really enjoy watching your blog for new ideas, also will be watching tomorrows demo so good luck with that :) xxx

Jacky said...

Brilliant demos on C&C - can't believe MP allowed you to get a word in and to do so much!! The melt pot looks brilliant - I only have a heat gun and tin pie tray (say but true). I am going to have a go at making one of the great roses. You are so talented. How do you go from train driving to making glazed flowers???

Ann said...

Loved your shows Hels.....I've had a melt pot forat least 2yrs & you've inspired me to get it out the box & give it a go too.....Thanks also for the fab tutorial!!
You're a true inspiration - love all your samples & brooch too, thanks Hels Luv n Hugs
Ann xx

Ann said...

Loved your shows Hels.....I've had a melt pot forat least 2yrs & you've inspired me to get it out the box & give it a go too.....Thanks also for the fab tutorial!!
You're a true inspiration - love all your samples & brooch too, thanks Hels Luv n Hugs
Ann xx

Ann said...

Loved your shows Hels.....I've had a melt pot forat least 2yrs & you've inspired me to get it out the box & give it a go too.....Thanks also for the fab tutorial!!
You're a true inspiration - love all your samples & brooch too, thanks Hels Luv n Hugs
Ann xx

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Related Posts with Thumbnails